1.2.1. Introduction

I’m Karl Ulrich, I’m a professor at the Wharton School where I teach innovation, entrepreneurship, and product design. I’m very excited to be one of your instructors for this course, launching your startup. This course is part of a four course specialization, the first course is developing the opportunity, that’s followed by this course, launching your startup. With then of a third course on growth strategies, and the fourth course addresses financing and profitability. That’s all tied up with a Capstone Project which integrates the knowledge from the course into a course project. Now you can take these course pretty much in any order, but this course assumes that you start with an opportunity. That is, you’ve identified some need, or pain point in the marketplace and you have an idea for a solution to address that need or pain point. Now what we’re going to do in this course, is we’ll take the validated opportunity, and prepare you to actually get that solution out into the market. Some of the questions that we’ll address in this course are how can I get market feedback most efficiently? What happens if my initial approach doesn’t work?
1:11
Should I quick my day job and when? How do I convince others of the value of the opportunity I’m pursuing? How do I put a team together? How do we allocate the shares in our company across the team members? How do I find and retain the partners I need, service providers, advisors, and others? How do I name my company and product? When and how do I form a new legal entity, and how do I prevent others from copying me? These are all super interesting questions, they’re all essential to the challenge of launching the startup, so with that, here we go.

Jim Rohn